Saturday, August 23, 2014

The First Warm Shower I’ve Taken in over a Month

D- Seriously, the first few times you wake up at 6:30am and greet the day by trudging off to an ice cold shower doesn’t seem that harrowing. After all, this is Peace Corps. This is most certainly what I signed up for, right? Well… after about two weeks it absolutely loses its novelty which motivates you to start cutting corners. Who really needs to wash their whole body every single day anyway? After a while, I only feel inclined to take the full polar plunge every 4-5 days. The rest of the time I just wash my hair and let Old Spice take care of the rest. For those of you not in the know, Ethiopia as it turns out is not that warm (especially this time of year, and least not in many of the areas that volunteers go).


We arrived in Addis Ababa today for a counterpart workshop where we will meet our Ethiopian co-workers at our future sites. We get to stay in a really nice hotel which has most of the normal amenities that you would expect from a hotel in the West and perhaps more. It was here where I felt the very first warm water touch my skin in about six weeks. I find it impossible to articulate the joy of something that seemed too mundane for thought less than two months ago. I also had Chinese food today, which kicked ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment