Sunday, August 3, 2014

A Brief Musing on the Hokey-Pokey Shower


J-I was taking a shower the other day when I had a borderline epiphany.  You see, our current housing situation provides us with a cold shower.  By cold, I mean imagine taking your garden hose and hooking it up to a shower head.  That’s not a complaint; it’s just a good way of explaining the temperature to someone who isn't experiencing it.  I actually much prefer this to the bucket showers that some of my fellow PCTs (Peace Corps Trainees) are having to take every day.  At least the cold shower gets you clean, which is far harder to manage with a bucket shower.  Anyhow, back to my musing.

When I was taking a shower the other evening, I broke into a fit of mad laughter as I realized that I had been doing the hokey-pokey every day for the last few weeks without realizing it.  It start by turning on the tap.  Then I put my head in, I take my head out, I suds my head up, and rinse all the soap out.  I put my loofah in, take my loofah out, add some soap, and scrub the whole day out.  I put my left leg in, I take my left leg out…you can imagine where this is going.  I definitely do plenty of the “shake it all about” as I shiver in the shower, though I have yet to manage the “you put your whole self in” move as of this posting.


As I said, I know this sounds like complaining, but it really isn't.  I find it all very amusing, and that’s why I bothered to write it down and share it.  Maybe when we get to our final placement site (no word on that for a few weeks yet), then I’ll get a stove and start warming up water for whenever we want o bathe.  Until then, I’ll just be doing the hokey pokey, seeing as that’s what it’s all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment