Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The 3 Funniest Things I Saw Today All Involved Animals

J-Funny Thing #1:  The Junior Horse Thief

We were sitting at our favorite Mana-Jussii (juice bar) enjoying some papaya/papaya & avocado juice when a garri (horse drawn cart) pulled up to deliver water to the shop.  There is a particularly adorable little kid who hangs out at this shop.  Either his father is the owner or his mother is one of the waitresses.  He’s about 4 years old, if I were to guess, and he’s one of the cutest little kids I’ve seen here.  He likes to play a waving version of peek-a-boo with me whenever I’m in the shop.  Well, when the cart pulled up, the man driving it and the woman waitressing both start to unload the barrels of water from it.  Not missing a beat, the little kid jumps up on the cart, grabs the reigns, and uses the reigns to “mush” the horse so that it starts to pull out onto the road.  He only got about 3 feet before the cart’s owner grabbed the horse to stop him and the waitress pulled the kid off the cart, but it was funny enough that everyone in Mana-Jussii was busting a gut over it.  The kid looked pretty darn proud of himself as he ran past us into the back of the shop, and I couldn’t help but think, “This is what kids do when they can’t play Grand Theft Auto on a gaming consol.”  I will forevermore think of him as the pint-sized horse thief.

Funny Thing #2: Cows Going out for Coffee

It is common practice here that coffee shops cover the floors of their restaurants with fresh-cut, long green grass.  It’s an old-fashioned symbol of welcome here, and I personally love it because it means all the coffee shops smell like freshly mowed grass.  However, it appears that I’m not the only one who enjoys this smell.  Today when we were walking by one of the coffee shops (which had apparently been temporarily been abandoned by its owner), there were three very large, black cows wedged into the doorway of the shop.  It was such a bizarre site that it took me a second to realize that they were eating the grass off the floor.  The truth is, the coffee here is so good that even the cows need to go out for a shayii-buna break!

Funny Thing #3: The Wheelbarrow Sheep

Just when I thought my odd day was over, I saw something that really, REALLY made me wish that I had my camera.  As we were sitting down to enjoy some dinner and a draft, we spotted a man walking down the main road with a fairly large sheep.  Now, seeing someone walking with a herd animal is hardly newsworthy here, but it was the manner in which he was walking that had us both in stitches.  Normally people either have their sheep tied to a rope either by their neck or by their horns.  Sometimes you’ll notice a person taking the sheep by its front legs and pulling it in the direction that they want it to go.  Not this man.  No, instead he had taken both of the sheep’s hind legs and was jogging behind it at a rather brisk pace.  I mean it sincerely when I say that it looked like he was engaging in a one-man wheelbarrow race with the sheep as his partner.  I’m not sure if I will ever see this brave soul with his trusty sheep partner again, but I genuinely hope that I do, because words will never do justice to this particular comedy act.

No comments:

Post a Comment